The installation is 26 meters high and 32 meters wide with 200 kilometers of electricity cable. It is located about 23 km off the coast of Westkapelle and is intended to transport the stream of the new Borssele 1 and 2 wind farm to shore.
The transformer platform also serves for the construction of the 2nd wind farm Borssele 3 and 4 which is planned later on. Work is also being done on the cable that will connect the platform to the electricity station in Borssele.
The cable is kilometers long and weighs more than 1.6 million kilos and is laid in the seabed via a special excavator.
The facts of wind farm Borssele I and II at a glance:
– Owner of the wind farm: Ørsted
– Number of turbines (wind turbines): 94
– Length of rotor blades: 167 meters
– In use: 2020 with flexibility of 1 year
– Distance to the coast: about 23 km from Westkapelle
– Maintenance base: comes in Vlissingen
– Annual electricity production: corresponds to 1 million households